It is sad, but true, that Yellow and Orange Belt students are often like college freshmen, who think they know all the answers. This level of training can be dangerous, and caution is advised when practising with fellow students, or when forced to use the Art in real combat. This primitive stage of learning requires dedicated time and practice. It is an intangible stage cluttered with knowledge that lacks perspective. We, therefore, urge and encourage you to practice faithfully, to understand what you are learning, and to develop mental and physical control. Only after adhering to, or obtaining these qualities, can you move on to the mechanical stage with certainty.
While it is important that you learn the contents of this journal, do not neglect studying your Yellow Belt material. Each level is an important building block. They provide you with basic disciplines that add to the total structure of Kenpo. More importantly, they form the basic foundation of your Kenpo knowledge. Weak basics lead to unsuccessful achievements. Therefore, lengthen your practice sessions, and make each workout productive. View basic disciplines in their embryonic state. As you strive for perfection, increase your awareness of existing details. Learn how these details function. Identify them, dissect them, analyse them, and perfect them. Accomplish this, and you will understand what sophisticated basics are all about.
Perfect your best side first, and then proceed to practice your techniques on your weaker side. There are a number of benefits to this; (1) it forces you to take the time to analyse your stronger side, which in turn, (2) makes you become more aware of the points you may have overlooked, (3) increases the strength of your weak side, (4) expands your vocabulary of motion by increasing your knowledge of variables, and (5) leads to acquiring more ambidextrous qualities.
It is important that you begin to set personal goals at this learning stage. Develop various aspects of your material, as well as improve self-discipline, self-awareness, self-confidence, will power etc. Prepare yourself inwardly to meet the challenges of daily life. The qualities that help you master the Art can enhance other aspects of your life. In time, you will be able to compatibly apply these facets to your family life, school activities, work contacts, etc. Always be conscious of who you are. Remember that you are steadily taking on greater responsibilities. The effects of your activities will have a direct reflection on your school, your Art, and your Association. With that in mind, conduct yourself in a manner that you can be proud. To state it differently, you are increasingly becoming a miniature showcase of our system. Learn to ask intelligent questions and to explain your Art to others. Do not be overly critical of other styles, or practitioners of other styles. Try to learn about their Arts, and gather adequate information to understand and converse with them intelligently.
REQUIREMENTS - SELF DEFENCE TECHNIQUES
- CLUTCHING FEATHERS Front Left Hand Hair Grab
- TRIGGERED SALUTE Front Right Hand Direct Push
- DANCE OF DEATH Front Right Straight Punch with Left Leg Forward
- THRUSTING SALUTE Front Right Step Through Kick
- GIFT OF DESTRUCTION Handshake
- LOCKING HORNS Front Headlock
- EVADING THE STORM Front Right Step Through Overhead Club
- LONE KIMONO Front Left Hand Lapel Grab
- GLANCING SALUTE Front Right Hand Cross Push
- FIVE SWORDS Front Right Step Through Roundhouse Punch
- SCRAPING HOOF Full Nelson
- GRIP OF DEATH Left Flank Right Arm Headlock
- REPEATING MACE Front Left Hand Punch
- SHIELDING HAMMER Front Left Step Through Hooking Punch
- STRIKING SERPENTS HEAD Front Bear-Hug, Arms Free
- CRASHING WINGS Rear Bear-Hug, Arms Free
- KICKING SET 1 (Right & Left Side)
- ORANGE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUES